3 Reasons Why You Don't Have an Agent Who Fights for You & How to Fix ItPROBLEM1. You don't have enough training. Agents go to MFA showcases first looking for talent. After that, they go to shows in the city produced by theatres or actors self-producing themselves to showcase their work.
SOLUTIONGet an MFA on the Go: Get a coach and train every week in the primary kind of work you want to start working in immediately. This is super important for film/tv for which there is no rehearsal, so if you don't coach before auditions or getting on set, you've essentially not been rehearsed.
This method is cheaper than going to grad school and you can pay as you go. Lots of coaches have payment plans, just ask.
PROBLEM1. No experience or professional credits on your resume Agents are looking to see who's hired you in the past so they can call them for a recommendation, but also determine if you're actually going to book work that makes them money.
SOLUTIONHow do you get credits if you can't book an acting job because you don't have an agent that gets you out?
Do you have a reel?
Do you have TV shows that you love and know you're right for?
▪ Start pulling scenes. Get coaching on those scenes.
▪ Get a TV ready outfit, hair and make up and then go to a great videographer (I love Brent Katz's work, high quality footage that looks like a real TV set because he's a real film/tv editor) and have him put you on tape auditioning.
▪ Then load that tape to utube, your website, your facebook page and IMDB.
Can't book any TV/Film?
- Write a webseries or short film
▪ Hire a writer to write a short film for you
▪ Do a KickStarter and Raise the money to hire a team (director/producer/writer) who has successfully made short films before so they can walk you through the process.
That's your first credit.
PROBLEM1. You have no relationships with Casting Directors. Casting Directors can pick up the phone and call an agent on your behalf if they like your work and that agent will sign you. Because the single most important factor in getting an audition is having a relationships with a casting director.
SOLUTIONHow do you build those relationships?
▪ Target your top 3 shows.
▪ Pull scenes from those shows and put them on your reel.
▪ Find out where the casting folks who cast for those shows are teaching and try and take 2-3 classes with them in a 6 month period.
▪ Get coached on every single one of those scenes before you do work in front of a casting director in those classes. Those classes are auditions, not a place for you to learn how to act.
Got questions? Fill out this short survey and we promise to answer your questions. Or reply to this email with questions!
Love, Light & Power,
April & TheDreamUnLocked Team
P.S. Stay tuned for a special announcement about a freebie pop-up class about how to get an agent in 3 months or less.
All Acting For The Camera Actor Actor Blues Actor Bullshit Actor Entreprenuer Actorsarsenal Actor-vs-star Aisha Hinds April-yvette-thompson Artistentrepreneur Artist Housing Artist Shit Artists Survival Job ASK April BadAssActor Badass Actor BadAssActor FB Group Beyonce-badassery Beyonce-badassery Biggest Question About OnCameraAuditions Black Panther Black-panther Branding Branding-and-marketing Brene-brown Burningquestionsaboutacting Burning-questions-about-acting Business-of-acting Case-study Center-of-your-emotional-range Don-cheadle Don-cheadle-on-acting Dreambuilder Dreamingoutloud Ellen-pompeo Emotional-chords Emotional Type Emotional-type-vs-physical-type Epa Erik-smalls Failure Fall-in-love-with-acting Fck-it-moment Fck-that Fear Film Film-tv Fit-for-a-queen Fuck-availability-checks Fundraising Gene-wilder-on-acting Getanagentmanager Getting-an-agent Getting-out-of-your-own-way Getting Paid What You're Worth Get-unstuck Goal-setting Greatest-actor-of-our-generation Greys-anatomy Happiness Harriet Tubman Idris-elba Inspiration It-girl-summit Life-changers Life-coaching Life-lessons Love-art Marketing Meryl-streep Mfae Michael B Jordan Modesto-lacen Motherfucking-actor Musician Never-ever-give-up Never-give-up Not-show-talent On-camera-auditioning Openhandsopenheart Pilot-season Pissing-people-off Play Playwright Producer Raise-money-for-your-acting-career Reg-cathey Rejection Screenplay Screenwriter Screenwriters Selfproducing Self-producing Selfproducingartist Self-producingartist Selfsubmitting Self-submitting Selfworth Show-business Simonsays-entertainment Singer Solo Artist Solo Play Soulfood Start A Coaching Business Support Films With Roles In It For You TheWritersRoom TimeSavingHacks Tv Viola Davis Voice-speech Vulnerability What's Your Fuck THIS Moment? Writer