Photo by Debra Lopez
I have amazing clients who really inspire me...it's why I've developed the DreamingOutLoud Technique: to help folks see what's possible for them with the gifts they're hiding from. But before we do that, we gotta tackle the FAKE Facts standing in your way.
We cannot fill you with goodness and possibility until we empty out all the sadness and fear. They are just old friends you've outgrown, time to take them to lunch, write the dear john letter and let them go in peace.
1. I’m not good enough
2. I’m too old
3. I’m too late getting started
4. I’m never going to be a writer
5. I’ll always doubt myself
6. I’m black woman that no one cares about
7. There's no one who looks like me doing what I dream of doing.
8. I will always be a failure.
9. I will never succeed
10. My family was right, I'm not good enough.
11. I’m lazy and always will be.
12. I’m just average.
13. There is always someone more talented than me.
14. My butt/hips are too big to be on TV.
15. There are skinner girls than me.
16. No one will like my stories, much less pay for them to be made.
17. I’m always going to be mediocre.
18. No one puts a girl with (insert fake notion) on TV.
19. I’m not light skinned or biracial or white-looking, so I won't have a big career like Halle Berry.
20. I have the body that Kardashians pay for, but I would never get the doors open for me like them because I am not a white woman.
21. I’m not white so my work won’t be valued.
22. I don’t have anything new to add to the conversation as an actor or writer.
23. I’m not creative or smart enough.
24. I don’t have a MFA from Yale, NYU or Julliard so no agent will want to sign me.
25. I will never find my purpose.
26. I'm too fat to (insert dream)
Over the next few weeks, I'm going to tackle each of these one by one...
If even one of these things resonates with you, then I'd love for you to join me on this journey of making your own work.
April Yvette Thompson